Sunday, August 25, 2013

Over the River and Back to School

 
     Our family of four juggles the schedules of five schools. You can see why my brain enjoys summer, despite the not-insignificant demands of writing a doctoral dissertation. My sons' schools begin tomorrow. The great summer we had will blend into fall, the same way our Prague metro tickets are mixing in with back-to-school welcome letters. I've suggested that if I receive my doctorate next May, as anticipated, that we will hop in the car and drive to the Grand Canyon. Just because.
 
 
 
 
     After crossing the Charles Bridge across the Vltava River in Prague this summer, a bridge begun in 1357, I've been paying more attention to the traditional New England covered bridges near my home. This one, which I cross occasionally, was built in 1853 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. When it was first built, a herd of cattle crossing it knocked it off its abutments, causing it to need repair. Two dairy farms remain in my town, but I've never seen a herd of cattle cross this single-lane bridge. It has taken us to a state park this summer, to get coffee, and now it can bring us home from school.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment