Friday, August 23, 2013

Lego my Eggplant!



     After picking up our CSA bounty, we stopped at a local farm for more deliciousness (peaches! apples! blueberries!) where my son spotted a vegetable we'd never seen or tasted before: Turkish eggplant. The fact that this ten-year-old boy insisted on trying some is less surprising than you might think. He also loves turnips and Swiss chard more than candy.
     The Turkish eggplant are the red, tomato-looking items (lower left in photo). Lightly coated in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper, they were delicious. We also have two eggplant-colored eggplant for a repeat of a Sundays at Moosewood cookbook recipe, Eggplant Marrakesh, one of our favorites.

 
     We often spot these Eastern newts near our home during their red-eft phase. We love our colorful neighbors!

 
     While I headed back to the office, my youngest headed to a Lego camp where he learned about the laws of physics. Here he is tinkering with his motorized space station.


 
     My oldest son (a soon-to-be fifth grader) and I shared some mother-son time and delicious Indian food for lunch today, a rare treat. The boy who loves Turkish eggplant also loves curries and masalas and garlic naan. Surprise, surprise.
 
 
     On campus, where I am now spending much of my time, the banners are waving. Good-bye, summer. Hello, fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment