Saturday, September 21, 2013

Scrambled Scrabble


     I will admit to a certain addiction to Scrabble, but this is the first time I've played it in Portuguese. No, I don't speak Portuguese. Is that a problem?
     Somehow, I inadvertently changed the language on my iPhone, made the word "flame," thinking I was making it in English, but the electronic game thought I was writing in Portuguese. My opponent then made the word "laca," which led me to realize that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.
     Did I quit? Did I give up? No. I know a few other languages, some even related to Porguguese. The weird part ... I'm not even doing that badly. At the moment, I'm ahead by four points.

      
     I like to play in French. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. I have an actual board game of Scrabble in English and one in French. My husband and I play Scrabble on my Kindle during our annual New England-style town meetings. Here I just made the word "doué" (it's somewhat humorous that it means "gifted," isn't it?) and am ahead by 12 points. On verra ...

     
     And mostly, I play in English, my native language. It's a good distraction when I'm waiting to pick up one of my children or sitting through a 30-minute piano lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment